Clifton PinotStable name: Pinot
Proven four-star eventer
A cross country machine – had had only 40 cross country jump penalties in the past four years
16.3hh Bay TB Gelding, born 10th November 1999
Been ridden by Australian Kevin McNab since October 2011, but previously campaigned by Jock Paget.
- Finished fifth at Luhmühlen CCI**** in June 2013 (results).
- Placed 19th at Luhmühlen CCI**** in June 2012.
- Placed 16th at Adelaide CCI**** in November 2011.
Been based in the UK since May 2012. Never had a cross country jump fault there.
UK highlights include:
- 2012 (May) – Finished fifth at Houghton International CICO***.
- 2012 (September) – Second Allerton Park Advanced Horse Trials.
- 2012 (October) – Competed at Les Étoiles de Pau CCI**** where they jumped a clear cross country round inside the time to move up to eighth place. Unfortunately, an overreach injury prevented them from completing the competition.
- 2013 (May) – Finished tenth at Houghton International CICO***. Only combination to finish on their dressage score. Top placed member of the Australian Nations Cup Team, which placed third.
New Zealand two- and three-star results
Competed at four FEI 3-star events between October 2010 and May 2011 (two CCI*** and two CIC***). Achieved 4th, 6th, 7th and 8th.
This was preceded by four FEI 2-star events between October 2009 and May 2010 (two CCI** and two CIC**). Achieved two second, fifth and seventh, including reserve National 3-Day Champion CCI** (May 2010).
An absolute machine cross country: exceptionally fast and gives his all, even when tired. Had only one cross country fault in his whole time in New Zealand since moving up from Novice Horse Trials. Very easy and economical. Balances beautifully into a fence. No need to take a pull or waste time (see headcam video of his cross country at Woodhill Sands Advanced and Richfields International Three Day CIC***).
Jumped clear cross country all other 3-stars (one CCI*** and two CIC***) and Advanced Horse Trials, along with all 2-stars (four) and all Intermediate Horse Trials.
Placed 8th CCI*** National Three-Day Championships (May 2011). This was despite rider only having arrived from overseas 24 hours earlier and taking the first part of the cross country steady as unsure of fitness status.
- Dressage 57.9 penalties (6th).
- Cross country clear jumping at 9.2 time faults (only two horses inside time).
- Show jumping – unlucky to have the very last fence down (only three horses jumped clear).
- Finished 8th on 78.1 penalties.
Fourth CCI*** 3DE December 2010
Clear jumping both cross country and show jumping in CIC*** October 2010.
- One of only three horses to jump clear show jumping.
- Finished seventh having been taken steady cross country.
Reserve Champion National CCI** 3DE Championships (May 2010).
- Won dressage (53.6 penalties).
- Clear under time cross country.
- Unlucky rail, under time show jumping (would have won without this).
Second CIC** 2009 after only one Intermediate.
- One of only six horses to jump clear show jumping (out of 24 horses).
Seventh National One Day Championship CIC** November 2009.
Fifth in CCI** December 2009.
New Zealand Horse Trials Record
Won last Horse Trial (Open Intermediate) May 2011.
Never out of top 10 place getters at last 10 events completed (withdrawn pre-cross country at three Horse Trials with very poor ground conditions).
Overall competed at 40 eventing competitions since starting as an eight-year-old, and placed in top 10 at 24 of these. Numerous placings at all levels.
54 Horse Trial points – could have many more but has not been pushed cross country generally at Horse Trials.
New Zealand show jumping record
Only competed at straight show jumping on two occasions – once 2010 and once 2011.
- 2010 – won 1.20m class with clear first round and jump off.
- 2011 – won 1.15m with only clear in first round. Also jumped clear in jump off.
- Won 1.20m with only clear in first round.
Lovely forward moving and thinking on the flat with three natural athletic paces. Scored 68.9% with top eventing judge Judy Bradwell in 2-star test. In her opinion he would be in top three in any company after dressage on what she saw.
Born 10th November 1999, by Wallenda out of Ice Stinker.
Purchased by Frances Stead on 6 August 2006 from New Zealand showjumper, Claire Wilson, based near Waipukura, Central Hawkes Bay (see photo of him the day he was bought).
Please note that Clifton Pinot is not for sale.